Vegan and gluten free burrito bowl made with rice, corn salsa, avocado, lime juice, spicy tofu and vegan mayo. This dish is like a poke bowl, with a nice variety of raw and cooked, hot and cold ingredients.
The tofu needs to be marinated for a couple of hours in a mix of spices, lime juice and maple syrup. If you’re in a rush, you can use packaged spiced or smoked tofu/tempeh.
To save some time, start by cooking the rice, then you can prepare the rest of the ingredients in the meantime. I used jasmine rice, but any long grain white or brown rice will do.
For the vegan mayo, I like the Hellman’s one which add some nice creaminess to the dish. You can also use a vegan sour cream or chipotle sauce.
You can make the different preparations in advance so that you just have to assemble the bowl when it’s time to eat. Reheat the rice and the spicy tofu in the microwave and add the corn salsa, lettuce, avocado and mayo on top.
For a full Mexican meal, enjoy with a glass of horchata de arroz!
- 1 ½ cup long grain rice
- 4 lettuce leaves – roughly chopped
- 2 avocados
- 2 key limes
- 3 tbsp vegan mayo – see notes
- ½ can (341 ml) whole kernel corn – drain and rinsed
- 1 can (398 ml) kidney beans – drain and rinsed
- 1 tomato – diced
- ¼ cup cilantro – chopped
- 1 block firm tofu – see notes
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp chili garlic sauce
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Cut the tofu in sticks and mix it with all the other marinade ingredients. Refrigerate for at least two hours.
- Cook the rice as indicated on the package.
- In the meantime, prepare the corn salsa by mixing the corn kernels, beans, tomatoes and cilantro.
- Heat up a non-stick frying pan and pour in the tofu with the marinade sauce. Saute for a few minutes until roasted.
- Put the rice in the bottom of the bowls, add the lettuce, salsa and tofu on top. Drizzle with mayo. Place a half sliced avocado and squeeze lime juice on top.
If you’re in a rush, skip the marinated tofu and use packaged spiced or smoked tofu/tempeh instead.
I like Hellman’s vegan mayo, you can also use a vegan sour cream or chipotle sauce.
You can make the different preparations in advance so that you just have to assemble the bowl when it’s time to eat. Reheat the rice and the spicy tofu in the microwave and add the rest of the cold ingredients on top.