Horchata De Arroz – Plant-Based Rice And Cinnamon Drink
Horchata de arroz is a plant-based rice and cinnamon drink from Mexico. It is therefore vegan and delicious! You can have it cold, poured on ice, during hot summer days or hot during cold winter days.
It is very easy and quick to make but requires to rest overnight for the flavors to infuse.
It’s important to use cinnamon sticks and not ground cinnamon if you don’t want to feel like drinking sand…
Once the rice and cinnamon water is strained, add the rest of the ingredients. You can use any plant-based milk, I personally used a coconut-almond blend milk. Just check if it is already sweetened or not and if there is vanilla in it. If this is the case, reduce the sugar and/or the vanilla.
After mixing all the ingredients together, wait a few minutes so that the tiny pieces of rice and cinnamon that went through the strainer fall down to the bottom. Don’t pour this sediment when serving the horchata.
Horchata de arroz
- Stand blender
- 2 cups water 240 ml
- ½ cup white rice 115 g
- 1 cinnamon stick
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 4 tbsp sugar 60 g
- ¼ cup unsweetened plant-based milk 65 ml
- ice cubes
- Pour 1 cup of water, the cinnamon stick and the rice in the jar of your stand blender. Mix for 30 seconds.
- Add the other cup of water, cover with the lid and refrigerate overnight.
- Strain over a bowl.
- Add the vanilla extract, sugar and milk. Mix well with a whisk.
- Pour over ice and add some milk if needed!